The Busy Busy Starts This Month.
Need to get finished preparing your planting, containers, seeds planted in flats or pots for transplanting FAST!
It's still waaaay hot out there for your cool weather loving plants, but it is time to start getting your heat loving fall garden vegetables plants in the ground this month. Some will be transplants and some will be seeds.
Next month you will plant the last of your warm weather plants (there still are a bunch of them that can go in the garden in September) and a LOT more of the cool weather plants. So be sure to have your veggieready.
Most herbs can be planted now
Might try planting some Malabar spinach if you have a very warm protected area, or plant it in a container so that it can be moved to a warm/hot area later in the season
You can transplant fruit trees and bushes growing in containers into the ground now
Out in the garden you can start planting the following veggies
WARM WEATHER PLANTS
- Beans - Pole - pole beans take a little longer to produce and they produce over a longer period of time so we plant them earlier than bush beans (seeds)
- Corn (seeds)
- Eggplant (transplants)
- Southern Peas (seeds)
- Peppers (transplants)
- Pumpkin (seeds or transplants)
- Summer Squash (seeds or transplants)
- Tomato - last of the month (transplants)
- Winter Squash (seeds or transplants)
- Watermelon (seeds or transplants)
- Sweet potatoes - IF YOU DO IT RIGHT NOW (slips or rooted cuttings)
- Okra - IF YOU DO IT RIGHT NOW (seeds, pre-sprouted seeds, or transplants)
- Malabar spinach - IF YOU DO IT RIGHT NOW like mentioned above (seeds or rooted cuttings)
COOL WEATHER PLANTS
- Broccoli -(seeds or transplants)
- Celery (seeds or transplants)
- Collards (seeds or transplants)
- Onion - Multiplier and Bunching (but not bulbing onions) (plants, seeds, sets)