The Busy Busy Starts This Month.
Need to get finished preparing your planting beds, containers, seeds planted in flats or pots for transplanting FAST!
It's still waaaay hot out there for your cool weather loving plants, but it is time to start getting your heat loving fall garden vegetables plants in the ground this month. Some will be transplants and some will be seeds.
Next month you will plant the last of your warm weather plants (there still are a bunch of them that can go in the garden in September) and a LOT more of the cool weather plants. So be sure to have your veggie beds ready.
Most herbs can be planted now
Might try planting some Malabar spinach if you have a very warm protected area, or plant it in a container so that it can be moved to a warm/hot area later in the season
You can transplant fruit trees and bushes growing in containers into the ground now
Consider joining the Week-by-Week program for weekly guidance on what you should be doing in your zone 9 garden. More features are being added and the price is going to be going up SOON - But you can lock in for $5 a month right now.
Out in the garden you can start planting the following veggies
Warm Weather Plants
- Beans - Pole - pole beans take a little longer to produce and they produce over a longer period of time so we plant them earlier than bush beans
- Eggplant (transplants)
- Southern Peas
- Peppers (transplants)
- Summer Squash
- Tomato (last of the month)
- Winter Squash
- Sweet potatoes - IF YOU DO IT RIGHT NOW
- Okra - IF YOU DO IT RIGHT NOW
- Malabar spinach - IF YOU DO IT RIGHT NOW like mentioned above
Cool Weather Plants
- Broccoli - transplants or seeds
- Onion - Multiplier and Bunching (but not bulbing onions)